In order to become successful as a Human performance Improvement practitioner, there are several core competencies one must develop:
- Leadership. Know how to influence others and lead effectively.
- Interpersonal skills. The ability to work well with others in order to achieve a common goal.
- Industry awareness. Understand the mission, vision, and culture of human service organizations.
- Organization understanding. Being able to see the whole picture including organizations as a social system including economic, political, and social influences.
- Problem-solving skills. Once performance gaps are identified, determine how to close the gap.
- Knowledge of intervention. Knowing how to apply not only training, but also non-training interventions.